You may wonder, what makes Barry the best buying agent in Amsterdam? Well, other than his friendly, personable service with a smile, his excellent reputation, and unique service level, Barry’s knowledge of the market due to years of experience makes him the perfect companion for any expat looking to find their dream home.
Navigating the housing market in the Netherlands is no mean feat; especially if you are still abroad and trying to organise your new life prior to the big move. With Barry’s help, you can guarantee your move will be hassle-free, ensuring you find the perfect property to complete your life in the Netherlands.
Below, we’ve rounded up some of Barry’s most frequently asked questions below from first-time buyers to give you an insight into how our service works.
1. I have never bought property before, where do I need to start?
First, you check what your budget is. If you have savings and/or are able to get a mortgage. I would strongly advise that the very first thing you do is find out how much money you can borrow. The market is so hot that if you find a house you like, you must be ready to act straight away. There are a lot of different banks and institutions providing mortgages in the Netherlands, so it makes sense to talk to a mortgage expert first; we can help you with that.
You can borrow up to 100% of the value of the property so you will need your own cash, about 4-6% more than the actual price of the property to cover the bills for taxes, the estate agent and notary fees, and other matters. If you know your numbers you can then make a list of requirements and see what you can get online. The easiest site to visit is www.funda.nl. Keep in mind that not all the prices you see online are what the property is sold for. Most properties in the Amsterdam region are sold (far) above the asking price. Having that said, we will always be honest with you, so in our first meeting we will tell you if your expectations will match with reality.
2. Why is it important to ensure I secure an estate agent that understands my requirements?
This is very important as a good agent understands your needs and can explain what is feasible, making the process smooth and successful.
3. What are the benefits of working with an estate agent with a portfolio of experience from an expat perspective?
An estate agent with a lot of experience will guide you through the process, avoiding pitfalls and ensuring the deal gets done as seller agents like to sell to experienced buying agents.
4. Cost breakdown: if I spend €250,000 on a property, how much of that goes to my estate agent as commission and what is my return on investment in choosing to work with Burgemeester Vastgoed as opposed to another agent?
Depending on if the transfer tax ( +/- 2%) bill passed or not, in total 5% of the purchase price, of which 1,5% ex vat would be the commission to work with BV. BV is a family office with excellent responsiveness and a high-quality level of service guaranteeing a knowledgeable, personal approach. If there is a deal to be made, we will do it!
5. If I run into a dispute with the seller, how can Burgemeester Vastgoed assist me in resolving the issue?
We will for sure help our clients in any situation as much as we can. If it is not within our realm of experience, we will advise our clients on the measures they can take and put them in touch with the right organisations to ensure they can resolve their issue.
6. Negotiations are not my strong point; how does Burgemeester Vastgoed guarantee the best price possible for me and how is this part of their service different from other estate agents?
At BV, we assist our clients from A-Z and will negotiate the best deal possible; our goal is a satisfied client, we are there for the client all the time and pride ourselves on our unique, personable service approach.
7. I’m in the process of selecting an estate agent; one option is Burgemeester Vastgoed, the other is a cheaper but less experienced agent. Other than his extensive experience with the Dutch housing market, why should I choose to work with Barry over the other agent?
Money is only an issue in the absence of value; if you choose a cheaper agent, you most probably get what you pay for. We only deliver a high level of service and charge everybody the same percentage to be able to do so.
If you’re looking to find your dream home, we would love to see you for a chat! You’ll be under no obligation. Call, or email us now for an appointment and we’ll help you to take the first step in securing the perfect property.